User Review( votes)
How useful and great it would be if organizations could run a query to get all those leads or contacts from the system that the sales rep has had a conversation with within the x number of months over a certain period of time or maybe organizations could just fire a query to find out the leads or contacts that no one (sales rep) has spoken with yet. Being able to track this information will help organizations to utilize the OOB marketing lists where these records would drop in and out based on this tracked data.
Let’s see this in action and understand further how this is going to work.
Here, we’ll focus on a phone call activity against a particular lead or contact. When this activity is marked as ‘Complete’ with ‘Left Voice Mail’ set as ‘No’, ‘Last Talked On’ and ‘Last Talked With Rep’ fields will be updated on the contact/lead form. Now, the admin can also track who is the last person/CRM user that actually spoke to the selected contact/lead.
Note: ‘Last Talked On’ and ‘Last Talked With Rep’ are two custom fields on the contact and lead form respectively. Make sure you have these fields on both these forms as they play a crucial role in the whole end to end process flow.
Now, we will design a flow using Power Automate which will trigger once the phone call activity is marked as complete with ‘Left Voice Mail’ set as ‘No’.
Before running a Power Automate flow the custom fields are displayed as follows –
Now, let’s proceed to design an automated flow that will run once the phone call activity is marked as ‘Complete’.
1) Login to Power Automate and pick an environment to begin with creating a new flow.
2) Enter an appropriate name for a flow and select a trigger as shown below. Click on ‘Create’.
3) Choose when to trigger a flow. Here we will select ‘update’ as we want a flow to run only when the phone call is updated (When phone call is marked as ‘Complete’).
4) As we are considering a phone call activity, we will select a table name as ‘Phone Calls’. Set the scope as ‘Organization’ for this occasion.
5) Next, we will have to put the filter expression here covering the below conditions –
• If the phone call record is marked as ‘Left Voice Mail’, that means none of the reps really spoke to contact/lead
• Phone call is completed (status of the phone call is marked as ‘Complete’)
Using the XRM toolbox could be another easier way to build such an expression.
6) You can set the ‘Run as’ as required.
7) In the next step, we need to know what that phone call is regarding, so we will perform a ‘Switch’ action step.
8) Select ‘Regarding Type’ as we are going to do a switch over a record that the phone call relates to.
9) Depending upon what entity record the phone call is related to, it is going to go further through the different set of steps within the switch control. So, let’s consider the record is either a contact or a lead
If record is a Contact record:
Configuration would be –
Add an action on this.
10) As we want to update our contact record with custom fields; ‘Last Talked On’ and ‘Last Talked With Rep’ once the phone call is marked ‘Complete’, we will select ‘Update a row’ action.
11) Let’s configure the fields and set appropriate values for them.
Since it is going to be a contact record that will be updated, we will select a ‘Table name’ as ‘Contacts’.
12) Now again, we will require the unique identifier.
13) Let’s update our form custom fields as shown below:
Last Talked On – When did the sales rep last spoke to this contact.
Last Talked With Rep – Who was the last sales rep that spoke to this contact.
Last Talked On:
Last Talked With Rep field:
As we want to know, who was the person that spoke to this particular contact, we will set the field as shown below:
14) Let’s perform exactly the similar set of steps to configure it for a condition when the record could be a Lead.
Let’s add another case for ‘lead’.
Save the entire flow.
15) Once the flow is saved successfully without any errors, we are good to test it. Select ‘Manually’ and click on ‘Test’.
16) Let’s go back to CRM, and mark the phone call as ‘Complete’ with ‘Left Voice Mail’ set as ‘No’.
Scenario 1 – Phone call is related to Contact.
Mark the phone call as ‘Complete’ (This is being performed by user ‘Sam K’).
Once marked ‘Complete’, you will see the flow ran successfully with a case 1 i.e. Contact.
If we go back to contact and check our custom fields; they are now updated.
Which shows that the user ‘Sam K’ last talked to ‘Cathan Cook’ on 3/7/2021 12:23 PM.
17) Scenario 2 – Phone call is related to Lead.
Mark the phone call as ‘Complete’ (This is being performed by user ‘Peter K’).
Once marked ‘Complete’, you will see the flow ran successfully with a case 2 i.e. Lead.
If we go back to the Lead and check our custom fields; they are now updated.
This shows ‘Peter K’ had a last conversation with the lead ‘Tamer Salah’ on 3/7/2021 12:52 PM.
With the help of the above Power Automate configurations, it can be easier for the organizations to keep a track of who (sales representatives) has spoken to which of the Contacts or Leads over a certain period of time and who they have not talked to at all.