User Review( votes)
As a business consultant working on an ERP project for a group of companies, you might have received a business requirement to sync master data between different fiscal companies. If the ERP to implement is Dynamics NAV or Dynamics 365 Business Central, then it is common to follow one of the three options as a first approach:
- Create a customization to enable this automation (Extension on Business Central)
- Adopt an ISV solution that includes this functionality (There are some in the market usually under the umbrella term “Intercompany”)
- Select the tables that you want to share between the different companies and change the property DataPerCompany to “No” on the Development Environment and this table will be unique for all the companies of that database (Only on Dynamics NAV or Business Central on-prem).
When starting to detail the business requirement for an end customer, it is easy to face difficulties! Examples of blocking issues include:
- The second option (ISV solution) will have a considerable footprint on the database. Usually these ISV solutions cover more than only Sync Master Data and a lot the times the related cost of the solution is not competitive
- The third option (DataPerCompany=’No’) is not the best as some data of some tables may not be completely the same
- The third option (DataPerCompany=’No’) is not applicable because there is more than one database (having for example different localisations).
So as a partner, we frequently advise the first option. We completely control this way of implementing, we have developers available with the proper skills, and the customer receives a custom-made solution for their requirement.
Let’s be disruptive! Microsoft business applications include more than just Dynamics NAV and Business Central. The suite now includes the Power Platform, and Power Automate (formerly Microsoft Flow) could be the right tool for this requirement.
Some advantages to consider:
- Power Automate is cloud based, ready, easy to use and friendly for “super users” who want to participate in no-code/low-code projects.
- It is cost effective.
- The footprint is minor.